New Times Media Group | Standoff with Oakland Homicide Suspect in Santa Maria
Created 10-Jun-16
49 photos

On June 10, a suspect wanted in connection with an Oakland homicide shot himself following an hours-long standoff with police at a Santa Maria gas station, according to Kelly Hoover, the public information officer for the Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Office.

[UPDATE - 10:51 a.m. 6/15/16]
The suspect, identified as 46-year-old Gale Lee Boyd of Las Vegas, suffered a self-inflicted gunshot wound at the scene and was pronounced brain dead on June 11, 2016 at 11:15 a.m., Hoover said.

Boyd was wanted for the suspected murder of 30-year-old Matthew Hanson of Oakland in the 1000 block of 22nd Avenue in Oakland on the morning of June 9, Hoover said.

According to the The Mercury News in San Jose, Hanson was shot and killed inside a live-in work space in a cul-de-sac located near Embarcadero and the Oakland Estuary.

Police received information the night before that the suspect was armed and in Santa Maria, Hoover said.

The suspect's vehicle--a white, late-model Ford transport van--was spotted at approximately 4:45 a.m. east of Highway 101 at the Chevron station located at 1155 E. Betteravia St., Hoover said.

Several police agencies responded to the scene. Santa Maria Police Department and hostage negotiators from the Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Office quickly moved in an hour later and began evacuating Pappy's Restaurant and the gas station.

Steve Cram, a retired Santa Maria resident, watched it all go down. He was resting in his car in the parking lot of the gas station drinking coffee when police approached him.

"I went in and got gas, got a cup of coffee, and went around the back of the parking lot and just got off the highway for a little while," Cram told the Sun. He added that all was calm at the gas station for 30 minutes before police arrived. "Next thing I know around the building comes a platoon of police officers that are telling everybody in the parking lot to exit the parking lot. They wouldn't answer any questions or anything."

Then at 9:15 a.m., Hoover said police moved in after hearing two gun shots and discovered that the suspect was suffering from a self-inflicted gunshot wound, adding that it wasn't clear if the suspect was shot twice.

A Calstar helicopter was called in and airlifted the suspect to Cottage Hospital in Santa Barbara, Hoover said. She added that the condition of the suspect is not currently known.

At no point did the police fire any bullets, Hoover said.

Categories & Keywords
Subcategory Detail: